USB port on openmoko

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri May 1 13:24:16 CEST 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009, Mark Night wrote:
> hello all,
> I am doing a project on openmoko. I need some help regarding the usb
> interface of openmoko.
> Is USB port available on openmoko a master, slave or OTG port?

The port is switchable between host and device mode, with the option of a
nonstandard mode where it is in host mode, but receives power from the usb
cable. The mode is set using sysfs entries which are different in old and new
kernels. See wiki for details:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Hardware#USB_Host
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA02_sysfs

If you're using SHR you can probably change the usb mode with the settings
GUI.

> I need to send the data from openmoko to an embedded device through a usb
> to serial converter IC. The small embedded device only has facility for
> serial data transfer (USART). So, how can I send some data from openmoko
> through C code or any other utility by which the data can be converted to
> serial format by that IC and then can be received by the  embedded device.
> Any help will be highly appreciated as the project is related to my course
> at university.
> Thanks...

Change to host mode then plug in your USB serial adapter. Assuming the driver
is present it should be loaded, and a serial device created. This will
probably be /dev/ttyUSB0 but you can use dmesg or logread to check. You should
then be able to access it as you would any other serial port.