How to use FR as a mass storage device? (Mass storage emulation)

Paul Sladen openmoko at
Mon May 11 01:43:40 CEST 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2009 10:20:30 +0800 "Daniel.Li" <lida_mail at> said:
> > Well, I found that copying files to FR is quite difficult
> also remember - usb storage is block-based. it could ONLY export the micro-sd

It's not impossible, just hard(tm).  You need to export a fake/virtual mass
storage + FAT device over the USB; dynamically mapping blocks as requested.

The read/write requests are parsed as they come in and mapped to normal file
accesses;  all the hard work should already be done as it's used in the QEMU
virtual FAT driver.

Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three.  Somewhere, GB.