Weekly kernel update

Nelson Castillo arhuaco at freaks-unidos.net
Tue May 12 18:34:37 CEST 2009

Hi.

I missed one kernel update last week. I wanted to know the status of
upstream kernel patches before sending the next update.
Fortunately Ben received them:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg66318.html
Once we get this in mainline (We don't know when yet) we can start
porting some drivers. Perhaps some can go to linux-staging [1].

Fixes:

- Fixed a deadlock that affected the GTA02 support in upstream kernel.
The patch is in the -mm tree now.

We got two patches from Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask at sygehus.dk>:
- Glamo MFD: MFD_GLAMO_SPI_GPIO requires SPI_BITBANG to build
- Glamo MFD: Fix indentation of Kconfig, convert spaces to tabs

Right now the priority is to recommend a stable kernel for the next
release (Om2009) that will also be useful for other distributions. Two
issues we have:

1) We are stuck with a release candidate as the latest kernel. Some
bugs might get fixed by using the 2.6.29 stable kernel. But...
2) Now it is evident that the current git layout is not useful for us.
It is very hard to up-level the kernel with the current layout.

Thus the activity (mine at least) in the following days will be to
make a feature-matrix that helps us compare kernels and make tests so
that we can know what the best option is _now_. This will also make
the current kernel page in the wiki more useful to us. This knowledge
is somehow spread in different threads and a lot of emails are the
result of not having this information ready. This should help us
update trac with the status of the pending bugs (and perhaps with some
fixes).

And we have to do something about the GIT repository.  I'll write
about this soon.

Nelson.-

[1] http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/linux-staging-update.html