oFono, a FSO Clone from Intel and Nokia

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun May 17 01:31:42 CEST 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:45:34 +1000 Lorn Potter <lpotter at trolltech.com> said:

> What I don't get is why people think it's bad to have more than one
> open source 'solution'. If reinventing the wheel was bad, we
> wouldn't have KDE, gnome, gtk, and even python, FSO and Linux, for
> that matter. Reinventing the wheel, is _good_.

dude... you are a lone voice in the wilderness. i agree 100% competition is
good! it pushes your competitors and yourself. new things wouldn't happen if it
was not for direct competition. well not radical new things, and often such
things can totally change things.

so in general re-inventing the wheel is a god thing. i dont speak for ofono vs
fso as i dont know the technical details enough to make a comment, but it's sad
to see the narrow-minds of developers or users who like to think re-inventing
something is all SOOOO bad and that everyone must conform to the existing
solution/software and use/develop for it etc. (if that were the case we'd all
stick to windows... why this linux crap? it re-invents the operating system.
hell! its a CLONE of unix! why shouldn't we have stuck to minix? or hell - that
was a clone. stick to sunos... or....?). people should look in their own back
yard before crying "nih!" as the vast majority of the software they like and
use is a result of "nih"...

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com