GUI style guidelines proposal

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu May 21 04:03:44 CEST 2009

> It always struck me as extremely counter-intuitive, at least
> as someone who writes from left to right, to have the button that
> basically says "go back" on the right side and the one that says
> "move on" on the left.

While I agree with this, I have to point out that the backspace key is
usually at the very right, and when I used the Lisp machines (at the
EPFL's LIA lab) whose "rubout" key was on the left (where CTRL should be
according to god, who was a close acquaintance of DEC), I first thought
"that makes a lot of sense" but also after constantly erasing chars
(while trying to navigate via C-a, C-n, C-p, C-e), I thought "but boy
that sucks rocks!".

        Stefan