[RFC] Qi Bootmenu

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Fri Nov 27 19:00:56 CET 2009

Petr Vanek wrote:
> are you using X or talking directly into framebuffer?

framebuffer, through evas/ecore.

> if you follow the thread with my tests, i got 12seconds as well and
> this was with ssh access and also X server running, my select script
> was in (slow) python and TK. it was my big hope to get it to about 7
> seconds when X is not used... good luck! 12 seconds is simply too long
> for just a boot menu to show up...

Agreed - 12 seconds is too long.  Switching to the miniconfig kernel
reduces it to ~8 seconds, and using an initramfs should be faster
still.  There should be some other avenues to look at for speeding up
too - un-needed dependencies and statically linking the bootmenu app
itself, so I'm hopeful that we'll get somewhere in the 5-7 second range
- though the faster the better!

Have you had a play with the build scripts Marc has put together?  It'd
be great to hear how you get on, and see if you've got any suggestions
for speeding it up?

Cheers,
Dave