How to build a fso-based distribution

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 09:47:59 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009, Shilin Yu wrote:
> Dear All,
>     I want to build a fso-based distribution for my freerunner and want to
> do some developments.
>     Where can I find some building instructions for some distribution which
> is based fso framework?
>     I found that there are a link to
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Building_FSO, Is this instruction is valid
> now? should I follow this page to build?

FSO no longer make a distro, but it is used in several others. The closest to
the old FSO distro would be SHR which also uses OpenEmbedded. The instructions
at [1] give a quick start guide, but it may be better to use shr-unstable
instead of shr-testing as it suggests. You should look at some OpenEmbedded
and/or bitbake tutorials for more information on how the build system works.

You could also use Debian, which is uses as a basis for the Hackable1 and
QtMoko distros, or OpenWRT [3]

[1] http://www.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Building SHR
[2] http://www.shr-project.org/trac/wiki
[3] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenWRT#Build_custom_image