Rod Whitby (MokoMakefile author) moves on to start WebOS Internals

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Wed Oct 7 15:34:58 CEST 2009

> My dream of an OpenMoko phone with a hardware keyboard to replace my
> aging Treo 650 was never realised, and you all know the rest of the
> story on the software side of things.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenMoko_on_HTC-Dream
Its nearly fully working and it has a keyboard ;)

> I've now started a new community (webos-internals.org) which does open
> source Linux-based development for the Palm Pre.
Hmm, would be nice to have OpenMoko running there too.
Tomorrow I'll put our enterprise server into a data center, directly connected
to the european backbone.
My enterprise (www.o2s.ch) has decided to officialy support OpenMoko as a
platform.
We have some big customers ATM, which will need to have organizers, etc.
So hopefully our activity will push the project (hardware and software) again.
Tomorrow we will install our new server directly to one of the backbones in
europe. With this emense uplink we can not only support OpenMoko by developing
and selling devices to enterprises, but also can provide a free repository to
the OpenMoko developers.
Here in switzerland its more legere concerning the license and patent
politics, so with this repo it will be possible to publish root images with
included mp3-players and so on, again.
I hope, this gift will be taken from the community thankfully.

> My hope is that freesmartphone.org may one day be the bridge between
> the OpenMoko community I am now leaving, and the WebOS Internals
> community which has recently started.
I think we can use the software developed by your crew and port it to
OpenMoko, yes.

> I wish everyone continuing down the OpenMoko path the best of success
> in the future.
Thanks, same to you.
Greatings
	leviathan