[RFC] Qi Bootmenu

Marc Andre Tanner openmoko at brain-dump.org
Fri Oct 9 13:09:17 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 06:32:20AM +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 02:35:14PM +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > 3. do it all yourself at the lowest levesl. as small as it will get but by far
> > the most amount of work for you.
>
> Would be nice to have also just text-based ui or fb based just as
> kexecboot have. Recent kexecboot has logo, icons, boot.cfg config file for kernel
> params, wallpaper would be easy to add I guess.

I agree that kexecboot with some patches to make it touchscreen aware would be
an option but for now (and until it's proved to be too slow) I prefer an
elementary based solution.

> Just POWER button to instruct Qi to boot kernel with menu, then AUX button to change
> selected item, POWER to use selected (kernel item or ie rescan or some
> configuration as kexecboot does).

Well this kind of works alredy with Qi alone: AUX skips a partion. Unfortunately
this is a bit cumbersome. But in my opinion if we spend the time to do an
initramfs we could as well make it touchscreen aware and visually appealing.

Marc

--
 Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0