Why 2 accelerometers?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 17:05:14 CEST 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009, RANJAN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering why FR has two accelerometers.They could have one 3 axis
> accelerometer and a single angular rate gyro.How is a combination for 2
> accelerometers more useful than one 3 axis accelerometer and a gyro?

Or, better, use a 3-axis magnetometer instead of a gyro.

At the time the FR was designed, gyros were significantly more expensive and
less available than accelerometers, and magnetometers were large and even more
expensive. Spaced accelerometers sounded like a good way of getting most of
the way there while still being affordable. In practice it doesn't work so
well. In the meantime gyro and magnetometer prices have tumbled.