[glamo] accelerated primitives, superfast links2

mobi phil mobi at mobiphil.com
Mon Sep 28 11:32:54 CEST 2009

Hello,
unfortunatelly there is not too much docu out there about DRM, KMS and
particulary about the architecture and interface to DRM and DRM for glamo.

I am not that much interested about the impl. details but about the
interface DRM provides, in order to asses the effort to write a driver for
directfb.

Regards
mobi phil

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Thomas White <taw at bitwiz.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 01:14:08 +0200
> mobi phil <mobi at mobiphil.com> wrote:
>
> > As directfb seems to be very fast on openmoko, I am intending to write a
> few
> > phone applications on top of it. I was thinking to write a directfb
> driver
> > for it. However looking at the code of libglamo (mplayer) and Xglamo I
> see
> > that not too many primitives are "accelerated". I see practically blit
> and
> > mpeg decoding. Is there a way to access things like draw triangle/line
> etc?
>
> The 2D engine only knows about rectangles and lines, although it also does
> anti-aliasing of text and gradient fills if that's any help to you.
> Triangles
> can be drawn via the 3D engine, but the overheads involved in programming
> all
> the necessary parameters (transformation matrices, shading parameters, etc)
> might make it not worth the effort.  But they might not, especially if
> you're
> clever about how you program it.
>
> > By the way links2 is superfast on directfb and fb, even without
> acceleration
> > for rendering.
>
> Indeed.  While our bus to Glamo is slow, it's not *that* slow.  This kind
> of
> thing is great for getting an idea of what the underlying "Glamo factor"
> really is, at least as far as pure graphics performance is concerned.
>
> If you're interested in using Glamo's features, the DRM-enabled kernel
> (branch
> drm-tracking) should be of interest to you.  All the command queue handling
> and memory management is done for you with that, similar to libglamo but
> with
> the option of having multiple programs accessing the chip simultaneously.
> Maybe that's not of any help in the DirectFB environment, but if it is then
> let me know if I can be of any assistance.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas White <taw at bitwiz.org.uk>

rgrds,