openmoko dfu-util improvements (patch & questions)

Werner Almesberger werner at
Tue Apr 6 12:17:25 CEST 2010

Patryk Benderz wrote:
> I am not an expert here, but don't you just give up your copy rights
> when publishing code under GPL license?

You don't give them up in the sense of losing them. You retain them,
and they remain very much enforceable - ask :)

Publishing something under the GPL does by no means imply that
you're putting your work into the public domain.

By using the GPL, you also don't have to yield them to others,
although some projects may ask you to assign the copyright of your
contributions to the project. E.g., many/all (?) FSF projects have
such a requirement:

You may choose to voluntarily assign your copyright (or equivalent,
in countries where copyright always remains with the author) to
others, e.g., to defend your work against inappropriate use.

- Werner