[ANN]: GTA04 (Beagleboard inspired Openmoko Upgrade) - Early Adpoter Program

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue Dec 21 20:47:12 CET 2010

Am 21.12.2010 um 19:34 schrieb Visti Andresen:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:41:37 +0100
> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at computer.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> we are happy that we can make an announcement to the Free and
>> Open Hardware Community, right in time for X-mas and New Year:
>>
>> We have finally tested, understood and patched the bugs of the
>> first GTA04 sample board (a.k.a. GTA04A2) and have successfully
>> started U-Boot. We can access the important peripherals like
>> display, touch screen, and MMC card.
>>
>> So we are very confident that the already scheduled redesign
>> (GTA04A3) will work right from the beginning and boot Linux.
>>
>> This looks like the start of the aera of new Openmoko devices.
>>

> That's just great!
>
> -- SNIP --
>

>> The price has been set very low so that it just covers component
>> and production cost at a reduced feature set (there are not all
>> peripherals installed but UMTS and GPS will be). It might be
>> possible to retrofit some of them.
>
> Your web page mentions WiFi...
> Will it be one of the included features?

Yes, we will solder the WiFi/BT module. We are not 100% sure how good
it will work. It is the same as used in the Gumstix Fire.

>> Please note that it does *not* include the LCD module, case and
>> battery, because it is a motherboard-replacement to existing
>> Openmoko units (Freerunner and Neo1973).
>>
>> And, we can't specify yet which version of the OMAP3
>> we will get (600/720/1000 MHz) and how big the RAM/NAND
>> flash will be. But expect something similar to the BeagleBoard.
>>
>> Please note that we also have chosen to switch from a GTM501
>> UMTS module to a GTM601 which has even better performance
>> (HSPA+).
>
> I can't seem to find the documentation for the GTM601 (by option.com ?).
> Is it available online?

The official product page with some information is here:

	http://www.option.com/en/products/products/embedded-mobile-broadband/lgamodulegtm601-609/

Some press info for using it in a smartphone:

	http://hugin.info/133962/R/1454503/394723.pdf

We are currently discussing with OPTION how much information
we can provide ourselves.

Finally, there is already a HSO driver in Linux:

	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/usb/hso.c;h=812edf85d6d32b017454f449f4d03e300ed4ec50;hb=HEAD

BR,
Nikolaus