SHS Testing - TangoGPS, GPS Antenna

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Wed Nov 3 17:08:13 CET 2010

People,

I wanted to start using the GPS facilities on my FreeRunner but there is
a Catch 22 situation:

- If I am inside, there is too much concrete to get GPS signals

- If I am outside, I don't have a connection to download maps

I thought if I could get an external GPS antenna connected and lead it
outside to my balcony, I could get GPS reception while I was still
inside (it is not always convenient to go out to the balcony and use
WiFi).  I assumed (!) the little antenna connection on the top right
edge of the freerunner was for a GPS antenna but when I went to buy one
the guy told me the connection is for a 3G antenna . . if I look at:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GTA02_Hardware#GPS_Antenna_Performance

it seems to suggest that there IS an external connector for GPS?

Can someone clarify?

Also, using TangoGPS - how do you actually start the trip meter?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades