SHS Testing - TangoGPS, GPS Antenna

Mariusz Adamski mariusz.adamski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:27:29 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 03:08:13AM +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I wanted to start using the GPS facilities on my FreeRunner but there is
> a Catch 22 situation:
>
> - If I am inside, there is too much concrete to get GPS signals
>
> - If I am outside, I don't have a connection to download maps

You can download maps without GPS connectivity for offline usage.

> I assumed (!) the little antenna connection on the top right edge of
> the freerunner was for a GPS antenna but when I went to buy one the
> guy told me the connection is for a 3G antenna.

It is a GPS antenna connector. I know that for a fact, because I'm using
an external antenna (internal one stopped working). Had no problems
buying it in an ordinary shop with GPS gear.

> Also, using TangoGPS - how do you actually start the trip meter?

It seems it is started as soon as you run TangoGPS. You can stop or
reset it.

Cheers
— Mariusz