navit with german speech?

Alexander Lehner lehner at
Wed Sep 7 14:28:29 CEST 2011

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, matthias.guedemann at wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
> unfortunately my Freerunner is at home, so I cannot look up the config,
> but it does give German turn-by-turn navigation with navit. If I
> understand you correctly, you get English directions synthesized by a
> German espeak?
> In the wiki you can find this:
> maybe you forgot something like LANG=de_DE (you only mention LC_MESSAGES
> and LANGUAGE)? This changes the language of the given directions. I can
> have a look at my configuration if this does not help.

Yes, that would be nice.
I tried it with

like the wiki said, but still no success.

What navit reports is:

(process:338): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(navit:338): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

This problem was also mentioned in the navit wiki.

What distribution are you using?