dfu-util for Windows

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 23:48:15 CEST 2012

Hi,
I discovered MinGW.org today and that turns out to be the easiest way
to build Windows binaries of dfu-util, and even comfortably on a Linux
machine. It builds latest git of libusb without any issue, and after
fixing up my git tree dfu-util builds as well. I tested the resulting
(32-bit) dfu-util.exe file (and libusb-1.0.dll) on Windows 7 (64-bit)
and it works fine.

So forget messing around with Windows IDEs, huge downloads, $399 and
EULAs, just do "apt-get install mingw32" instead :) The recommended
way of building dfu-util for Windows _on Windows_ will be running
mingw natively or in a Linux virtual machine. Or use a Linux live CD,
I will provide an all-in-one script for this.

One thing you can not get around on Windows is the driver
installation. For libusb-1.0, the actual driver is winusb.sys
(included in the OS), so you have to register your device with that
driver before libusb can access it - through winusb. This driver
registration can easily be done with the "zadig" program, described on
http://libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend.

In time for dfu-util 0.6 I can write up more detailed instructions on
the web site, and also provide Windows binaries for the release.

Tormod