dfu-util on windows with libusb-1.0

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 03:51:36 CEST 2012

Hi,
I'm just starting to use dfu-util to program some hardware based on the
lpc3131 processor which has a built in dfu mode.
My device is predominantly used on windows, but I've had reliability
isuues with the dfu software that's supplied by NXP.

On windows, I can use an old binary I downloaded:
     $ ../dfu-util.exe -V
     dfu-util - (C) 2007 by OpenMoko Inc.
     This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

     dfu-util version 0.1+svn

with a current libusb-win32 driver as installed by zadig ( V1.2.5.0 )
and it works great (Win7 x64).

Unfortunately I can't make it work with any new dfu-util compiled from
source (git).

The new versions all rely on libusb-1.0 as far as I can tell, which on
windows is currently limited to WinUSB backend driver which does not
support usb reset. This usb reset certainly appears to be required on my
lpc3131 to start the loaded code, is this the same on other dfu device?

I was able to compile against libusbx instead thinking it supported the
libusb-win32 driver but alas no, I don't think libusb-win32 or libusbk
backend drivers are expected to be supported for a little while still.
I looked into libusbk as an option also, but it doens't support the
libusb-1.0 api yet, although it's planned to in the future.
Apparently there's proposed patches to libusb-1.0 to support the
original libusb-win32 driver somewhere too, although I couldn't find the
patches myself to try them.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of issues.... is dfu-util used on
windows typically?

Thanks,
Andrew