Screen Grab Utility

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Thu Aug 2 19:26:14 CEST 2007

Ricky wrote:
> There's a screen grab utility on your Neo (at least on the more recent
> builds) that I found by reading through the build tree.  It's at
> /usr/bin/fbgrab.  It might be useful for showing off screen images to
> your friends or for submitting bugs.
>
> To grab the current screen image, just ssh over and run "fbgrab
> filename.png".  The home page for this utility is at
> http://hem.bredband.net/gmogmo/fbgrab/
> <http://hem.bredband.net/gmogmo/fbgrab/>.  I'm not sure how or where
> this should be documented in the wiki.

There's another way which I find more useful, since I usually want the
screenshots on my desktop, not on the phone (OK, so it saves having to
scp them, big deal). But here it is:

	start a terminal on the phone (next command must be done locally)
	give the command: xhost +YourDesktopIP

	then from the desktop, just use most any screen grab program
	(I use kscreenshot) with the "-display phone:0" argument.

	So the program is running on the desktop, but its
	interactions with X will be with the X server on the phone.

This way when I "Save", it saves it on my desktop (even though the save
dialog pops up on the phone - remote X is a miracle but sometimes a
mindblower too).

BTW, if you do want to scp, and you have an SSH session running too,
define an entry like
192.168.0.202   phone openmoko gadget fic-gta01

in your desktop's /etc/hosts. Then you can copy-and-paste the
hostname (from the terminal's prompt) *and the colon and the directory*
and use it directly in an scp, for example, I am ssh'd in:

root at fic-gta01:/media/ram$ pwd
/media/ram
root at fic-gta01:/media/ram$
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ --- copy this (up to but not including the $)

To scp a file there, use something like

scp MyHeartWillGoOn.mp3 (PASTE)<enter>

and it will copy the file from your desktop to the same directory
that your ssh is in. Same trick works copying files "up" too.
Just a little timesaver!

> Also - if you are interested in how the GUI / Window Manager starts up,
> I've tried to start documenting it at
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Window_Manager_Startup

That was you? Hey, useful! Thanks.