netreg registration denied (was: Re: Anyone else got a non-working GSM modem?)

Oliver Heesakkers openmoko at heesakkers.info
Thu Aug 2 22:46:39 CEST 2007

Op Thursday 02 August 2007 00:07:13 schreef Cindy Mottershead:
> I have had the best luck initializing the gsmd and making/receiving
> phone calls by issuing the commands over ssh.  The cu program doesn't
> work reliably for me, but the libgsmd-tool does. The gui interface
> hardly ever works.
>
> I run this in one shell (to watch the debug output):
>
> gsmd -p /dev/ttySAC0 -s 115200 -F
>
> and run libgsmd-tool in another to issue the commands. See
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Gsmd

When performing above steps with my Orange prepaid sim libgsmd-tool tells me
that net registration was denied:
http://www.heesakkers.info/showandtell/error.png

My Orange subscription sim on the other hand, can make calls.

I've tried multiple other sims from friends, but there is no connection that I
can see between working sims (age, networks, local or roaming, prepay or
subscription)

I tried disabling the ttySAC0-line in /etc/inittab. This prompted a pin-entry
box on reboot and makes the icon in the right hand corner show success, but
results are the same.

Judging from Walter's post "Making phone calls" I have a fair chance of
getting a working Telfort prepaid-sim, but I'd much rather use this Orange
prepaid as long as the software isn't mature enough to use my
subscription-sim

Can anyone shed some light on why some sims work and some don't? And more to
the point: Can any sim be made to work?

Mentioned networks are Dutch.