MokoMakefile Error

Michael Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Sat Aug 4 19:46:54 CEST 2007

Jeff Rush wrote:
> Andreas Lorensen wrote:
>>
>> Wanted setup so I was able to compile own versions of the software. And
>> wanted to start setting up something to start whit using MokoMakefile
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MokoMakefile
>>
>> But after long time I end up whit this error:
>>
>> NOTE: package glibc-2.5-r4: task do_package_write: started
>> Packaged contents of locale-base-ar-kw.iso-8859-6 into
>> /home/andlo/openmoko/build/tmp/deploy/ipk/armv4t/locale-base-ar-kw.iso-8859-6_2.5-r4_armv4t.ipk
>> Packaged contents of locale-base-ar-kw into
>> /home/andlo/openmoko/build/tmp/deploy/ipk/armv4t/locale-base-ar-kw_2.5-r4_armv4t.ipk
>> locale-base-aa-er
>> *** Error: Package name  contains illegal characters, (other than
>> [a-z0-9.+-])
>>
>> ipkg-build: Please fix the above errors and try again.
>> NOTE: Task failed: ipkg-build execution failed
>> NOTE: package glibc-2.5-r4: task do_package_write: failed
>> ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
>> NOTE: package glibc-2.5: failed
>> ERROR: Build of openmoko-devel-image failed
>> make: *** [openmoko-devel-image] Fejl 1
>>
>> Does anybody knows what do do about that ?

> Wait and try again a bit later and it might fix itself.

This looks more like a local problem to me. I doubt it automatically
gets fixed.

> Just today, I hit this -- in the morning the domain name for the cups software
> went invalid.  I waited 2-3 hours, did an update and yes indeed someone
> noticed and checked in a new hostname.  And then it broke on the lsof software
> -- an FTP directory no longer exists on their distribution host.  Grrr!

Sounds like you didn't set the CVS_TARBALL_STASH and/or PREMIRRORS
correctly, otherwise it would contact downloads.openmoko.org to grab
sources in case they're missing usptream.

> I've also tried to use OpenEmbedded without OpenMoko, for some other devices I
> have here, as OE seems like a really cool idea.  But then that build kept
> breaking because of syntax errors (something about 'srcdate' variables) in the
> OpenMoko bitbake files that were being changed during the day -- even though
> that build did not use anything from OpenMoko.  Apparently it has to
> successfully read/parse the entire .bb fileset for a build, so if any group is
> doing development and checking in incomplete files it breaks for everyone.

This will slow down once we branch towards a release of OpenMoko.
Then, only few people will have access to the branch hence the amount
of changes will decrease.

> And unfortunately, the OpenMoko build system (at least with MokoMakefile)
> always refreshes from the repository each build, so you may have a correct
> build set one time, and a broken one a few minutes later or vice versa.

This is an artefact of that we always want to have the latest
packages. You can pinpoint dates with statements like

SRCDATE_<foo> = "<bar>"

>   I've
> tried to "freeze" the buildset so I can do my own development in peace, but
> haven't found a way to stop *all* updating.  I think some of the recipes are
> doing their own updating outside the OE/bitbake mechanisms.

Hardly -- however you may not have hit all packages. Which ones are
problematic in particular?

Regards,

:M:
--