Debug board

Greg Johnson gjohnson at superweasel.com
Tue Aug 7 21:33:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

Has anyone else tried using the debug board?  I tried for the first time
last night and thought I'd share my experience.

First, I had a hard time
getting it connected.  I was not previously familiar with the connectors
for the ribbon cable, and it wasn't clear how far the cable must be
pushed into the connector.  The pictures on
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Connecting_Neo1973_with_Debug_Board_v2
were useful, but it still took me a while to get it connected.

Second, while I did get openocd working with it, I was never able to get
serial output through the debug board.  /dev/ttyUSB0 appeared on my
Linux laptop, but using minicom on it (115200 baud, no/hardware flow
control, 8N1) didn't produce any output.  I tried "setting the console
to serial" through the bootloader, but no luck.  I've taken the
"console=ttySAC0,115200" out of my kernel boot command line by changing
the u-boot environment variables, so I didn't expect kernel output.
Neither the getty on ttySAC0 or 'echo "foo" > /dev/ttySAC0' produced any
output in minicom.

Third, I saw the debug board in the output of "lsusb" on my laptop, but
not the Neo when it was plugged into the debug board.  I was unable to
use usbnet.  Luckily, my laptop has three usb ports, so I just plugged
the Neo directly into the laptop.

Finally, the Neo didn't charge when connected to the Debug board.

Is there more documentation available about the debug board?  For
example, what do the various LEDs mean?  Are schematics available?
On Harald's blog, I see that he mentioned a version 3 of the debug
board.  What changed?  I thought that the intent was to make no major
changes to the debug board.  Will the one I have will work with the
GTA02?

Having fun,

Greg