How is the Ethernet MAC address for usb0 defined?

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Tue Aug 7 22:09:33 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:47:38AM -0400, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> I am analyzing why the AJZaurusUSB driver creates a new interface on
> MacOS X each time the OpenMoko is rebooted.
>
> Now I think I have found that OM does initialize the MAC address of
> the RNDIS/Ethernet gadget driver randomly on each reboot (and MacOS X
> uses that to find devices it already knows). Can anybody confirm that?
>
> If it is so, I would suggest to derive the MAC address from the
> device serial number - or if that is not available - from the
> Bluetooth MAC (but not using the same).

Good analysis.  I don't have my cable with me so I can't confirm
this. However, if this is the problem, it is OS X that should be
fixed. I think the FIC people have enough to do. Other OSes including
Linux and also the various BSDs do not have this problem; I use it
on OpenBSD and it is always cdce0.

Of course, the phone is open source, so if you want it done that
way, you could submit a patch to make it work that way. That's the
idea of Phase 1, after all!