Battery discharging while phone is off

Matt Mets matt.mets at cibomahto.com
Thu Aug 30 16:19:29 CEST 2007

I hooked up a current meter between my battery and the phone, and noted
that my Neo draws around 41mA (meter not calibrated recently) after
turning on then off.  The -P option with the shutdown command doesn't
seem to have an effect on this.  As Fabien noted, if I physically
disconnect the battery for a few moments after shutting down, then
reconnect it, the phone draws much less current, approximately 70uA,
which is why the battery does not drain overnight.  Another interesting
thing I noted was that if I only disconnect the battery for a very short
time (maybe 1 second), the phone then draws 14mA instead of 41.

My conclusion is that unplugging the battery for a few seconds after
turning off the phone does seem to be a (poor) workaround to this for now.

Note: all of these current measurements were done with a recently
charged battery.

I was thinking that making a little embedded current measurement device
(something like National's LM3824 connected to a microcontroller,
connected to the Neo via one of the onboard serial busses.  Does anyone
have something like this already set up, or have interest in building one?

Regards,
Matt