My second day, monotone behaving better

Kero van Gelder kero at chello.nl
Fri Aug 31 21:59:40 CEST 2007

Been away for two weeks, and low on time before and after that.
So today is more or less my second day :)

OM2007.2 now.
image + kernel match, nice (still I think naming of image can include kernel
version; other option is enabling u-boot to load kernel from jffs2)

> The Openmoko Makefile breaks in `make setup` because of monotone version
> incompatibility. it's at version 0.35. I'm at debian unstable, which
> apparently is too bleeding edge (even though it is usually a very good
> environment to build things on). Is it just me, or is 0.35 not even close
> to a stable 1.0 release??

debian unstable now has monotone 0.36
My previous attempt had om2007.1 and monoton 0.35, which was not able to
upgrade the 0.32 repository. So either the current mokomakefile does not
need an upgrade, or monotone 0.36 simply works fundamentally better.

 =>  Unless someone knows otherwise: DO NOT USE monotone version 0.35 !!

mokomakefile is churning along at 900-something of 3352 tasks atm. yay!

I'm not a particular fan of monolithic build environments, but I'm pretty
sure I can figure out subparts, now that I am this far (i.e. have a
working repo).

Bye,
Kero.

> In a final attempt, I tried qemu on some image. I had an old qemu-r1076.sh
> around, but I can't use the same concept on the fresh stuff:
> Is a uImage not a zImage? What is it? `file` says "u-boot/PPCBoot image"
> but that means nothing to me. How do I get the kernel out?
> (and the old image seems to have lost its sshd functionality, while it
> hangs (at 100% CPU...) in calibrating the screen, 'coz it won't accept
> my mouseclicks; I distinctly remember killing that program last time; this
> image is utterly useless now)

And I should also mention I managed to build qemu-neo1973 which does take
uImages: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenMoko_under_QEMU