Is GSM a blackbox in OpenMoko

Michael Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Fri Dec 14 21:45:59 CET 2007

> Sorry for the long email, but I think we're touching a very important
> subject here for the success of OpenMoko / Neo 1973 ff.

I don't think so. Access to the actual GSM protocol may be of interest
to some developers -- the majority wants to write applications using
telephony.

> As you will know from media, there's tons of other groups who are
> promoting some kind of open operating system for phones, such as Google
> and the Linux Phone Standard Forums (LiPS, http://www.lipsforum.org/).

Yes, but neither dares to touch the subject of opening up the GSM
stack.

> I thought (I hoped) that OpenMoko is different in that I have control
> over the *whole* phone, not just on the UI / application layer.

Uhm, "just" on the UI / application layer is already so much more than you
can do with every other mobile phone on the planet. OpenMoko enables you to
completely replace the software stack with something that's more to your liking.

If you want to tinker with GSM itself, you will have a hard time
finding anything beyond research labs or software defined radio.

Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de