Is GSM a blackbox in OpenMoko

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Fri Dec 14 22:59:42 CET 2007

Hi Shawn!

This splits into a technical (what do do) and a commercial / use case
(why do that) discussion.

On the technical aspect:

 > So the GSM module must provide some AT
 > commands to access whatever you need in order to implement SIM access
 > profile, right?

Well, that's exactly the question. GSM modules don't necessarily know
anything about Bluetooth, do they? So I wonder if *any* GSM module would
support these commands or if I need a specially equipped GSM module for
that. But you're right, looking up the respective spec from the
Bluetooth SIG would make sense.

On the use case aspect:

 > Another idea would be to use a GSM module with an Asterisk server.

That's what I am looking for; among others.

 > But then you could also buy VOIP termination service, to virtualize it
 > completely... so how is it better to use GSM?

Not better, cheaper. In Germany everyone can buy a SIM card which will
make you pay 0,09 EUR / minute for calls terminating on any GSM phone in
Germany, no matter which of the 4 network operators that would be. With
some luck you can even buy a SIM which will make you pay only 0,05 EUR /
minute. But there is no VoIP termination service that charges less than
~ 0,20 EUR for terminating in the mobile networks.

The other aspect would be just the opposite: VoIP originating on the
mobile network. Say you want to receive calls to your GSM phone number
in country X while you are in country Y. So you might want to have a GSM
-> VoIP gateway.

But both is easily doable (I guess) with current FIC hardware, as none
of that usecases requires to use more than one SIM or required to remote
the SIM.

I am looking at virtualizing / remoting SIMs more for Dual-SIM,
Tripe-SIM, etc. scenarious, i.e. you have a SIM from your employer and
maybe one or more personal SIMs but you want to carry just one handset.

If you employer would be so nice to pay GPRS traffic for you, you'd use
his SIM in the phone and remotely access your personal SIM sitting back
home on your server over GPRS; for example.

One thing is for sure, though: If the network operators would offer a
bit more flexibility with certain things, all this would not be needed.
But they don't necessarily have any incentive to spoil their business,
do they?

Regards,
Torsten