Is GSM a blackbox in OpenMoko

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 01:23:25 CET 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 2:59 PM, Torsten Schlabach <tschlabach at gmx.net> wrote:
> On the technical aspect:
>
>  > So the GSM module must provide some AT
>  > commands to access whatever you need in order to implement SIM access
>  > profile, right?
>
> Well, that's exactly the question. GSM modules don't necessarily know
> anything about Bluetooth, do they?

They don't need to care about Bluetooth, just expose some commands to
give you some sort of token that you then give to the alternate radio
(I don't know these details).

Oh look what Google found:

http://www.telit.com/module/infopool/download.php?id=576

seems like a corrupt PDF to me but Google's translation to HTML works:

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:YXHcCgp1npUJ:www.telit.com/module/infopool/download.php%3Fid%3D576+gsm+at+commands+sim+access+profile&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

> So I wonder if *any* GSM module would
> support these commands or if I need a specially equipped GSM module for

Looks like they just need commands like these:

AT#RSEN=1,1,0,2,0            // Activate SAP
OK                                     // SAP Connected

but how you get the "stuff" you need to pass to the other radio (the
car phone for example) isn't so clear.

> On the use case aspect:
>
>  > Another idea would be to use a GSM module with an Asterisk server.
>
> That's what I am looking for; among others.

Then maybe you don't need SAP, just connect a GSM module to the server
and let it sit there, as long as it has good connectivity.

> If you employer would be so nice to pay GPRS traffic for you, you'd use
> his SIM in the phone and remotely access your personal SIM sitting back
> home on your server over GPRS; for example.

Yeah that might work.