GSM Tech

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Sat Dec 15 21:53:28 CET 2007

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

 > * The code might be individual for each IMEI (Mobile Equipment
 > Identifier), i.e. your specific device.

It is! There is no "universal" unlocking code.

 > * It is NOT stored on the SIM.
 > So, the phone is locked for a specific  SIM.

Well, it's called SIM lock, but it's the phone which is locked, not the
SIM. The network operator does not care what terminal equipment you use
to make him earn money, they just don't want to you create revenue for a
different operator with a terminal (phone) they subsidized.

 > * It is NOT stored in the Network (Home Location Register)

That wouldn't make any sense either. All other operators (not the one
who locked the phone) would have to ban it. But they couldn't care less.
They don't even care to block stolen phones any more AFAIK.

 > * So, the only remaining location can be the EEPROM/Flash of the GSM
 > module.

Sorry, but I cannot follow you here. How do you come to that conclusion?

It could as well be stored in the phone's memory. The phone's memory is
not the same as the GSM module's memory. (If that even has any.)

In other words: I'd expect SIM lock to be a feature of the phone's
operating system, not of the GSM module. I might be wrong, though ...

The interesting question is: How much software and how much hardware is
in a GSM module's chipset.

Regards,
Torsten