My new mobile

Dobrica Pavlinusic dpavlin at rot13.org
Sun Dec 30 15:14:20 CET 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 11:56:53AM +0100, Linda Lind wrote:
> Hello Torsten!
>
> Yes i'm root
> If not root I get this:
>
> cu: /etc/uucp/port: fopen: Permission denied

On my Debian box, I don't have to be root, but my username (dpavlin) has
to be in group uucp (cu is part of uucp package).

This can be done using

$ usermod -a -G uucp dpavlin

after logout/login you should be in uucp group which can be checked
with:

$ uid=1000(dpavlin) gid=1000(dpavlin) groups=10(uucp)

After that, you can access cu without root priviledges, and if you want
to use it as root, you would probably need to add root to uucp group.

Hope this helps.

--
Dobrica Pavlinusic               2share!2flame            dpavlin at rot13.org
Unix addict. Internet consultant.             http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin