850 MHz flop

Jae Stutzman jaebird at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 20:30:51 CET 2007

So I'm reading the list and reading what I've known for awhile. The FCC
never approved the Neo1973 for the 850 band. It appears that it was never
part of the FIC application. How is it then, that OpenMoko Inc sold it as a
quad band phone? Where do we stand? Is there a plan to submit the GTA01 and
GTA02 for FCC authorization? My optimistic side says "of course". But I've
become more pessimistic in recent months as I've seen the seemingly slow
moving development of this project (no flame, just observation). Like
Sagacis said in the other list, I firmly believe in this project, our
company has committed to developing on this hardware/software stack.
However, we were led to believe that the Neo1973 was Quad band from the get
go, and it isn't. I actually observed signal strength issues/behavior months
ago in my own testing and was told that I need to "read the spec" because I
didn't understand (I actually did know a little about what I was talking
about since my E2 can be hacked into a triband phone with similar results to
the Neo). Why is it only now coming out that the modem does not do 850
because it is not approved to. Somebody at FIC/OpenMoko knew that this was
so.

Every organization has a certain amount of "capital" and each one must
determine where to spend it. OpenMoko Inc needs to be forthright in the
future or they are going to get a reputation.

So my question: Is Quadband coming to the Neo1973? Please don't jerk me
around and please don't hijack this thread.

Sincerely,

Jae