Neo and Nokia BL-5C's [was Re: still bricked neo]

The Shonko Kid shonko_kid at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 10:10:17 CET 2007

--- rakshat hooja <rakshat at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Is the neo compatible with the nokia 3.7V battery of the same form factor
> (I ask this because my neo battery is not powering up my nokia phone nor is
> my nokia battery helping to start the neo).

Nokia batteries of the same form factor, the popular BL-5C, will work fine in
the Neo, though I think the Nokia ones are slightly lower capacity.

However, a Nokia handset will only charge a official Nokia batteries. IIRC
Nokia handsets charge the battery at a slightly higher than normal rate, and so
the battery has to be well within specification to handle this - you may recall
stories of Nokia's exploding a year or two back. This was because fake, out of
spec batteries were used. So some identity logic in the battery assures the
handset that it is a genuine Nokia battery, and will not be charged otherwise.

So, you can use the Nokia battery in the Neo, but you can't charge the Neo
batteries in a Nokia handset.