Making a call from Denmark: done!

Bernhard Kaindl bkaindl at ffii.org
Tue Nov 20 00:34:30 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Mikkel Meyer Andersen wrote:

> I explicitly described the steps I did on my blog (
> http://www.scienco.org/2007/linux/openmoko/calling-from-neo1973openmoko-in-denmark
> ).

If you have GTA01v4, and would like to try it thru the GUI, you can try
the 20071113 snapshot images from my description here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Phase_1_Software_Testing#Official_20071113_rootfs_with_20071113_.28r3238.29_kernel

With this, I am able to make calls in Germany and even receive calls
with a slightly uncomfortable tweak which requires a stylus while
receiving the call.

My findings (cut and paste from the above URL) are that it

     *  does ask for PIN after boot, but does not register to network
        automatically, you have to do this after each boot by:
          1. clicking on the GSM antenna icon in the top nav bar and
 	    select "Autoregister to network" or by
          2. executing "echo r|libgsmd-tool -m shell"

     * Note: After this, you should see a message box which says
       "Connected to GSM Network" popping up. Unless you see this message,
       you are NOT registered with the network!!!

     * after this, you can make calls, but if the called side hangs up
       the call, the dialer does not notice this (you should notice that
       you hear no audio anymore and you have to hangup yourself after
       that to continue using the dialer) and gsmd or the GSM part might
       be confused as well, at least in one instance making subsequent
       calls didn't work and once, gsmd exited or crashed, but restarting
       it didn't solve the issue, had to reboot.

and

     * You can receive a call, but neither side hears the other. To make
       audio on receiving a call work, you have to save the mixer
       settings with "alsactl store -f call.ctl" while making a call and
       restore them while or during answering the call with "alsactl
       restore -f call.ctl"

I tried a the 20071118 Unofficial snapshot but in it, the terminal is
a bit broken and it didn't ask me for the PIN (but I had's removed
console=ttySAC0,115200" from bootargs_base) when I tested that other
snapshot.

I hope that we can get these dialer issues fixed and then I'm happy
to give OpenMoko a test as my primary phone. Kudos for the nice work
to everyone contributing!

Bernhard

PS:
I also tried the 20071118 Openmoko-qtopia snapshot, from buildhost.it
and while looking rather neat, its SIM applications didn't see a SIM
card and the Dialer was hung in "Please wait..."