Closing apps

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:47:08 CET 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 3:19 PM, Eric van Horssen <horzel at hacktic.nl> wrote:
> ever since I changed my AT motherboard for an ATX, the powerbutton got
>   a new function.

Well it's more or less the same function, just that it does an orderly
shutdown, for safety.  At least on machines I've used, pressing it
quickly either powers the machine on, or shuts it down.  What else
would you do with it?

> Or if I want the old function, I have to press it for 4 seconds?

> (Oh and on the b&w Palm Vx, holding the On/Off button for a while,
> used to turn on the background light)

Yeah the other ones from that generation are the same.

Well if the hardware could go into an ultra-deep sleep instantly, and
keep memory active for weeks in that state without charging, and
hardly ever needed to do a real actual power-off, it would be an
option to use the quick press to sleep, and press/hold to control the
backlight.  (But in the ultra-deep sleep, GSM would have to be powered
off, and you'd miss calls.)  I wonder if they kept these behaviors the
same on Linux-based palms?  and do the apps still not have any way to
close them?  (My newest one is a Clie with pre-Linux PalmOS)

Someday system memory will be non-volatile.  Then probably every
computer will behave more like the Palm, as long as software can
become less buggy, so that rebooting just to purge memory and start
over is not so necessary.  But the Palm's SRAM is effectively
nonvolatile as long as your batteries hold up.