Set Console to USB

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sat Oct 13 17:51:22 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 04:12:24PM +0100, Dan wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a NEO1973 and the "Set Console to USB" option does not appear in
> u-boot. It's a pretty recent version, when I try and connect to the usb port
> the client connects but does not display anything and I certainly can't send
> any commands (crlf's appear as ^M)

it seems like you somehow have managed to overwrite/erase/corrupt the
environment partition, or the dynenv OOB marker pointing to it :(

This can really only be done by manual fiddling with the environment
and/or the raw flash contents.

There currently is no way how you can switch to usbtty unless you have
console access.  The default console of any u-boot that we ever
distributed is the physical serial port (on the debug connector), since
that technically is a safe choice.  USB is very complex and there can be
tons of reasons why it might not work.   A physical serial port is
therefore a safe choice, since it will always work.

I understand that this is unfortunate if you don't have a debug board.
But then, having usbtty as the default has different risks.  We are
considering to switch the default, but this needs implementation,
testing and quite a bit of thought if this really is what we want.