GNUstep/Objective-C SDK for OpenMoko --- jffs2 on MacOS X?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Thu Oct 18 16:19:08 CEST 2007

Dear all Mac based developers and GTA01 owners,

after Apple has announced an SDK for native applications on the
iPhone (I assume it will allow to write .app bundles with Xcode), I
think I should mention (again?) that we are already working on a
Cocoa compatible Objective-C based SDK for the Neo.  The project is
called mySTEP/QuantumSTEP (http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?
page=About) and is based on GNUstep (with heavy modifications to make
it work nicely on a FPU-less ARM system).  You can download the SDK
and track for updates e.g. through Versiontracker: http://
www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20581

Together with Xtoolchain you can compile existing (pure Cocoa based)
applications in just 5 minutes:  you just have to add a Shell Script
Run Phase to the project target, configure a little and build the
application.  The result is an .app bundle that includes an ARM-Linux
binary ready to run on the real hardware (BTW: the resulting ARM
binaries are typically very small - in the 16-100kByte range).

To really run this bundle on the Neo, a runtime system needs to be
installed.  This process is currently still quite difficult through
ssh (and we have in addition some severe show-stopping bugs in the
first boot phases).  But we intend announce a first snapshot rootfs
for the GTA01 soon.

For that purpose I have a question:  does anybody know how to create
a .jffs2 rootfs image directly on MacOS X (without running Open
Embedded in a VM)?  I have not found a FUSE module.

Nikolaus Schaller

PS: If you are interested in contributing and beta-testing, please
send me a private mail.

Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching