Daily Snapshot Review 21 April 2008

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Tue Apr 22 15:01:11 CEST 2008

My review notification is a day off, but my review was done yesterday. :)

My full review can be found at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Snapshot_review/2008-04-21 and the list
of reviews at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:SnapshotReview

Today I corrected a signifigant human error. I wasn't aware that the
kernel team had moved from SVN to git source control which means that
I didn't notice that the kernels being created had new names. This
means that for the past week or so I've been reviewing old kernels
when new ones were available. I've corrected this today which is
probably a good thing, since a lot of brainpower has gone into suspend
and resume.

There are no noticable chances to the userspace apps in today's
review, but random chance had me stuck with two bugs that work
together to be nasty. I've mentioned the null contacts bug in my
reviews before, but never noticed that null contacts caused
openmoko-messages to crash. During the review process I managed to
have that happen AND press the "Add new contact" button 4 times in an
attempt to delete them (If you can ADD a contact on the main page, why
not delete one?)

There's some news on the suspend/resume front. Firstly, suspend now
only happens several minutes after the phone is inactive. My earlier
review stating it has been removed was incorrect, but the manual
activation of suspend HAS been removed. I've opened a bug on this
(#1365) because I can see several use cases where the lack of a manual
option could cause the device never to suspend, such as when the phone
is bouncing around in a purse or pocket and the touchscreen activates
the device.

Resume by AUX works every time now, but audio breaks when resumed from
suspend and GSM features break. The first is an established and known
bug and the second is a newly reported one. Wake-on-incoming call ALSO
works but with the above conditions, making it essentially useless.

In short, I recommend today's rootfs
(http://downloads.openmoko.org/recommended/Openmoko-openmoko-devel-image-glibc-ipk-P1-Snapshot-20080421-om-gta01.rootfs.jffs2)
and kernel (http://downloads.openmoko.org/recommended/uImage-2.6.24+git20080421-r0-om-gta01.bin)
but warn people that the poorly worded "Dim then lock" power
management setting will cause some issues.

-Kevin Dean