Daily use of Neo1973

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Wed Feb 20 14:40:52 CET 2008

I'm familiar with the echos, I commented on them many times during my
reviews. For me, however, they were mostly corrected as of the 11 Feb
2008 official snapshot.

Talking in the wind is difficult with the Neo, but then I've never
actually had a phone that did that well.

I use my Neo as my primary phone and in MOST cases it works well. I am
a bit nervous, however, because there are enough stability issues
(dialer crashing while phone calls are in progress, gsm randomly
dying, freezes, misrepresentation of level of charge, et cetera) that
I'm afraid of what will happen in the event of an emergency.

I am frequently told by my wife that she's called or sent SMS that I
didn't get, all the while my Neo is still saying I'm connected to my
carrier.

If you want to develop on a device that can make phone calls, the Neo
works. If you want a functional phone you can develop on, it would be
best to wait for the Freerunner hardware (which, now that I think
about, it's the only OpenMoko hardware you'll be able to get on the
primary market - Neo1973 units have sold out!)