Daily use of Neo1973

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 21:13:13 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Peter Rasmussen <plr at udgaard.com> wrote:
> I have a Motorola A780 mobile, and the charger that comes with it has a
>  mini-USB connector, and it charges the Neo1973 very good for me. It also
>  handles a 500mA load.

That's interesting; I thought the issue was that Motorola chargers
have the RX and TX lines connected together, or something like that,
so the phone can detect that a dumb charger is connected (as opposed
to a hub that can't deliver 500mA).  Are you sure you are getting
500mA from it?  Then either yours must be a smart charger after all
(the phone can talk to it and get permission to go into fast_cccv
mode) or something has been fixed that I didn't know about...  My
theory was that if the USB lines could also be used in GPIO mode, then
you can detect a dumb charger with a little bit-banging.  I bet that's
what the Moto phones do (guessing).

>  I don't know about a car charger (I have dis-selected having a car :-)
>  so I can't advice you about that.

Motorola makes those too, but they are also dumb chargers (just a
regulator supplying 5V).