Daily use of Neo1973

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 23:28:40 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Torsten Schlabach <tschlabach at gmx.net> wrote:
>   > I'm pretty much sure my linux server which i sometimes use for
>   > charging does not have any driver whatsoever for this device. But it
>   > charges nicely.
>
>  I guess my USB power plug does not know how to choose a device config,
>  so thank's for the hint.

Well you will see messages in dmesg that the USB device was noticed,
even if udev/the kernel/hotplug didn't know what driver to load for
it.

>  I wonder though why a living Neo with a network connection (borrowed
>  from the PC it's connected to) cannot just go ahead and update itself
>  over the Internet. Why do I have do download an image and use some
>  cumbersome tools to get it on there. Continous integration means: Build
>  often, test often, so I would rather have my Neo refreshed with the
>  night's build every night.

I think it could work like Ubuntu: it checks periodically for updates,
and shows you a notification when there are some.  This would be very
achievable with ipkg, just a matter of a little GUI wrapping around
the ipkg update.