Battery charging (was Re: Daily use of Neo1973)

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Thu Feb 21 02:22:49 CET 2008

Am 21.02.2008 um 01:21 schrieb Shawn Rutledge:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Marc Bantle <openmoko at rcie.de> wrote:
>> Torsten Schlabach schrieb:
>>
>>> power management is that broken that even if I leave the phone
>>> plugged
>>> in to the charger on the desk, it seems to use more power than it
>>> gets
>>> and dies.
>> That I observed aswell. From what was said earlier on this list, Neo
>> consumes up to 500mA under certain conditions, which doesn't leave
>> much
>> for charging.
>
> Yes I finally figured out a few weeks ago that my powered hub cannot
> supply enough current, so it has to be plugged directly into a
> motherboard USB connector.
Probably not. 500mA is usb standard.
The problem is, your hub does not select a divice by itself to allow
it to draw power.
You need a 'smart' host to do this. So if you plug the hub into the
host computer, it will enumerate the device and set it in high power
mode.
Your hub will probably even provide 500mA on at least one port without
being powered additionally.

This dump charger, smart host needed story seems to never end... :(

It seems like Openmoko should just define one working charger as
standard and include this one in the package to solve this for good.
This question is really the biggest FAQ ever in all history of FAQ.