battery not charging

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 18 01:15:17 CET 2008

Anuj Sawani wrote:

> I usually leave the battery out for around 10 minutes with the USB cable
> disconnected.

I suggest trying again for a longer time, perhaps 30 minutes. I don't
know that 30 minutes are required, but I do know that when I do this, I
usually forget and don't get back to that project for much longer than
10 minutes.

> I am using a Dell laptop to charge it. I presume they have not modified
> the USB standard for power-saving reasons. But, could the laptop be an
> issue? I have tried different USB ports on the laptop too.

Might be. I have been suspicious of this sometimes. Do you have a
desktop handy?

> Is there a possibility that the battery is deeply discharged into an
> unrecoverable state?

Possible, but I've handled well over a dozen batteries by now and have
yet to see one fail this way. Not to say it's impossible.

Where are you located?

Michael