FR and ASU - how to start GTK apps?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 12 17:02:57 CEST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:23:30 +0200 Daniel Mewes <danielmewes at onlinehome.de>
babbled:

> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 13:47 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > I tried changing the icon line in the .desktop file for
> > openmoko-agpsui so that it used an existing icon, but that didn't
> > work. Not even after a reboot.
>
> The following procedure worked for me:
> Store the icon as a PNG file into /usr/share/pixmaps (I was not
> successful with an xpm file for example). Then change the Icon line of
> the desktop file into the file name of the png, including the
> suffix .png (some of the existing files omit the suffix, but this did
> not work for me).

xpm will work if you install:

libevas-loader-xpm

it's just not installed by default (come on.. xpm! have you seen the mess that
format is! i hope xpm dies a horrible death... and soon!) :)

> However it is weird, that you cannot see the entry although there is
> a .desktop file. Even without any Icon line, the application should show
> up in the launcher. Perhaps there is some other mistake in the desktop
> file? Perhaps the Categories are not correct? Try changing those to
> Office; or something like that. Or start over using one of the other
> desktop files as a starting point.

if the .desktop file is not formatted and specified correctly it won't be seen
and thus not used. i suggest taking a working .desktop file then copying it
over the agpsui .desktop and then editing appropriately

note: illume EXPLICITLY hides/ignores any .desktop for an app that has

Categories=System;Settings;

ie that contains System and Settings in the category list. these are held in a
config panel instead (that will soon enough get removed) so any such apps will
always be hidden as they are not "apps" but config tools.