FR and ASU - how to start GTK apps?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 12 23:06:17 CEST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:47:53 +0200 "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <tingox at gmail.com>
babbled:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Daniel Mewes <danielmewes at onlinehome.de>
> wrote:
> > file? Perhaps the Categories are not correct? Try changing those to
>
> That was it - there was no Categories line in that desktop file. after
> fixing that, the  program showed up in launcher, icon and all.
> Thanks!
> (I must admit that I never paid much attention to those .desktop files)
> Perhaps I should notify the openmoko-agpsui team, since this desktop
> file was installed with the application.

aaah! no Categories == it will never be included in a system menu. e (nd the
modifier module for it that gives it an "embedded ui" work with the
freedesktop.org standards. e expects a system menu file
(/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu) and complies with XDG/FDO standardsand
parses that and from that plus all .desktop files it parse it builds the system
app menu - which is flattened out as just an icon list in the launcher screen.
so if you comply with the same standards u have to comply with to work on a
normal linux desktop system - it works in ASU. nothing special here... EXCEPT
the thing of e filtering out things with specific 2 categories set and puts
them in another place (which is valid and allowed). :)