Anyone using FR as a phone?

Ole Kliemann ole-om-lists-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sun Jul 13 02:37:24 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 02:40:51PM -0500, Randy S. wrote:
> I am curious to know if anyone is using their FR as a phone.  Mine has such
> poor audio quality, it is unfortunately useless as a phone.  The audio I
> hear is clear but at a very low volume; the other person hears my voice very
> distorted and with a buzz.
Try using alsamixer.

> The audio I hear is clear but at a very low volume;
Might be possible to correct this by just turning the volume up.

> the other person hears my voice very distorted
Maybe it's overdriving? Try lowering the input of the mic.

> and with a buzz.
Could be GSM radio interference.

Changing mixer settings can help for some things. It's worth a try.
If you found good settings, you have to put them in the corresponding
file in /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/
When you for example start a call the file gsmhandset.state is used to
set the mixer. So changes in alsamixer get reset when the scenario
changes.