Daily Snapshot Review 18 March 2008

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Tue Mar 18 19:27:10 CET 2008

Today was a very... odd review.

I flashed the image the first time and got a kernel panic due to init
mismatch. I then erased the kernel and rootfs, reflashed and rebooted.
This time, it loaded, but X didn't start. Because of this, my normal
method of measuring boot time (from uBoot's "Boot" command to the
appearance of the clock) wasn't measurable.

Once X started the "grey screen" bug was still there.

Upon loading of the apps, I noticed that I had audio because of the
familiar chime. I proceeded to test the phone call sections but had a
dialer crash upon my outgoing call (though the call continued). I was
forced to power the device down. Upon reboot X started properly but I
had no sound.

Because of these things, my review looks odd, giving call quality a
"good" and then rating "no audio" on other parts. One noticable
difference for me was that the loading icon (the circle with nib) is
alone again. For the past month there have actually been two loading
icons, the circle and the "traditional" spinning hourglass (which was
quite ugly).

My full review can be found
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Snapshot_review/2008-03-18 and the list
of reviews at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:SnapshotReview

In general, due to instability in this image I advise it not be used
for daily use on the GTA01. Instead, I recommend using the 20 Feb 2008
rootfs and kernel images.

-Kevin Dean