Daily Snapshot Review 28 March 2008

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Sun Mar 30 17:42:40 CEST 2008

On Sunday 30 March 2008 16:27, Kevin Dean wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Peter Rasmussen <plr at udgaard.com> wrote:
> > Another thing that I am looking forward to, is support of more than the
> >  English alphabet.
> >
> >  Is that a very low priority?
>
> No. Raster is working on a new keyboard that can handle user-created
> maps. These maps aren't limited to latin character sets, IIRC.
>
> >  Nick Guenther wrote:
> >  > To me that particular feature is -very useful-. On my Nokia I use that
> >  > to find a contact to call or SMS with two to three clicks; under
> >  > Qtopia to find any contact requires scrolling through a long list
> >  > (much more than two taps!).
>
> I agree. My complaint is that it's implimented horribly, i.e. is next
> to impossible to use without the stylus.

The keyboard in the underground image is remarkably easy to use too imho.

However, as far as I'm concerned the quicker the GTA03 ( 4,9, 20 or whatever)
that comes out with a dual slider, one for keyboard and one for keypad, the
better. The soft keyboard is taking up far too much screen real estate as is.

At least we can look forward to raster's implementation sometime (soonish
please) which may help a lot of people who use other charsets.

Andy / SC