u-boot console

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Fri May 2 05:51:17 CEST 2008

Hermann Lacheiner wrote:

> The problem now is, that connecting to the u-boot console using usb
> does not work for me. No u-boot prompt is appearing when connecting
> with cu or screen, and there is no entry in the boot menu to "Set
> Console to USB".

I recommend installing a newer u-boot, which will remove the need for a
"nand erase rootfs" before flashing a new image and which will also have
the default console on USB. There is of course a theoretical risk of
bricking your device if you do not have a debug board, so proceed at
your own risk.

The most recent u-boot image from
http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/neo1973/deploy/glibc/images/neo1973/
is probably OK, but you may want to ask other people for confirmation.

You would also need to edit your u-boot environment (specifically the
"stdin", "stdout", and "stderr" variables) to get the console onto USB.
There is an "openmoko/trunk/src/host/envedit/" utility which might be
usable but I have never tried it (and its README only mentions GTA02).