u-boot console

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Fri May 2 18:50:59 CEST 2008

clare wrote:

> The one I am using now is a special from ScaredyCat for doing dual
> boots i.e. can also boot from an SD card. It is numbered
> 1.2.0-moko9-r13_0_2632_0 and dated Aug 12 2007 it has Set console to
> USB, Set Console to serial, Power off, Boot from SD, Factory reset.

FYI the newer u-boots (after January 2008) also work for SD-booting, and
they have other bugfixes.

The "Set console to..." menu items are specified through environment
variables, and do not depend on the version of the u-boot binary.

> In trying some of this just now using cu -l ttyACM0 for example, I find
> that I cant do very much because although it tells me that In; Out: and
> Err: are usbtty, it dies before I have time to do more than one quick
> command. Can anyone tell me what else I need to do to talk to u-boot for
> a longer time?

Make sure that you are in the u-boot menu (hold down Aux when powering
up) so that the phone doesn't try to auto-boot. If that menu is timing
out, you may need to set the "boot_menu_timeout" environment variable to
a large value (e.g. 65000) or just keep clicking the Aux button every
few seconds. There is also a "bootdelay" variable - see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bootloader_environment