how to express dependency to external perl module in package (gpsdrive)

Gernot Hillier gernot at hillier.de
Wed Dec 26 16:58:17 CET 2007

Hi there!

I'm currently trying to build gpsdrive 2.10pre4 (recipes for 2.10pre2
and pre3 are already available) for the OpenMoko as this has support for
OpenStreetmap and could thus bring free maps to the OpenMoko. :-)

However, it seems that 2.10pre4 depends on the perl module HTTP::Request
from the libwww-perl package. I tried to build an ipk package with the
following recipes:

--- openembedded/packages/perl/libwww-perl_5.808.bb ---
DESCRIPTION = "libwww-perl provides a simple and consistent API to the
World Wide Web"
SECTION = "libs"
LICENSE = "Artistic"
PR = "r1"

SRC_URI =
"http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-${PV}.tar.gz"
S = "${WORKDIR}/libwww-perl-${PV}"

inherit cpan
--- EOF ---

--- openembedded/packages/perl/libwww-perl-native_5.808.bb ---
SECTION = "libs"

inherit native

require libwww-perl_${PV}.bb
--- EOF ---

It seems that those packages are built correctly. However, do_configure
of gpsdrive still fails with "error: Need Perl module HTTP::Request". I
also added "libwww-perl-native" to the DEPENDS line in
openembedded/packages/gpsdrive/gpsdrive_2.10pre4.bb but this didn't help
either.

As the perl module is available in
build/tmp/staging/i686-linux/lib/perl/5.8.8/HTTP/Request.pm, I'm now out
of ideas how to fix this.

Could someone point me in the right direction or give me some tipps how
to further debug that problem?

Is there a way to manually run configure to see where it looks for
Request.pm and why it doesn't find it? Unfortunately, config.log doesn't
give any details on the test it does...

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

--
Gernot